Sunday, January 18, 2009

Scripture Sunday

Matthew 7:1 "Judge not, that you be not judged."

I know that when I was younger I had all these notions that people should be and act a certain way. Well now that I am older and maybe a little wiser, I try not to judge anyone. Now I am not saying I am perfect but I am definitely more accepting of others. I think that life has taught me a few lessons in this area. I think this because it has hurt me when people judge me.

I used to be so judgmental. I was very narrow minded and if things weren't a certain way then you were wrong. After I had my first son (and of course I was an expert in parenting, haha) I breastfed him for a year and I thought any mother that gave their baby formula was lazy. Now 6 kids later I realize that every baby is different and every family is different. I used to think that my house had to look like could be on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens at all times. I would mop my floor on my hands and knees every night. Now I realize that time goes by very fast. I think of it this way, will my kids have fond memories of my cleaning the house or doing something with them. There is a time for cleaning but I think as I have aged I am not as uptight about it.

When my oldest son was three he was diagnosed with autism. I was 24 years old and had no idea what autism was or how to deal with it. So to say the least being in public was always a challenge. So one day we as a family went to Hometown Buffet. Everything was going fine until it was time to leave. At that point Devin started screaming, crying, and got under the table and was holding on for dear life. Then a women (most likely in her mid 50's) came over and said, "all that boy needs is a good, hard spanking!" So with tear soaked eyes I turned to her and said, "thank you mam, I did not know that that was the cure for autism." The point to that story is that you do not walk in another shoes, so you should not judge them. Just love them and help them.

No comments:

  © Blogger templates Artsy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP